Saturday 21 April 2012

Read-A-Thon, April 2012

The Read-A-Thon kicks off in about 15 minutes, and it's a lovely sunny day for me to sit inside and not take advantage of at all! I have a stack of four books ready and waiting to go, though with various things getting in the way I will honestly be surprised if I get that far. They are:

1. The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore (Lorien Legacies #2)
2. A Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Writings by Charles Dickens.
3. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (Chaos Walking #1)
4. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

One of these has been sitting on my shelf for years, whilst all the others are quite recent acquisitions. None of them are too long, so I should make some fair progress, and I'm looking forward to reading all of them!

Good luck to everyone else who's taking part!

----

2 and a half hours in and I'm making good progress with The Power of Six, the sequel to I am Number Four. 248 pages down, 130 to go! Fast paced and enjoyable, though maybe not quite up to the standard of the first. Though seeing them (*ahem*Six*ahem*) fighting with their Legacies is quite cool. The story is now flicking between two storylines which helps keeps it going well. Just when you get bored of John, Six and Sam being constantly on the run, you switch to Number Seven in Spain. A slower story, but interesting. Good book!

Now...back to reading!

----

1 book down! For the most part, I enjoyed the end of PoS. Fast paced with lots of action you really start to see the characters come into their own. The alternating view points got a little annoying when they were switching like every page - I think it was supposed to build tension but it didn't really do it for me - but that's not the end of the world. And sometimes the fighting seems a little too easy. Yeah, they have all these awesome powers and stuff but when it's like 1 versus 100 you'd expect it to be a little more difficult than what is shown. Some questions were answered, and I'm definitely looking forward to the next one and finding out more.

Next book, the incredibly seasonal A Christmas Carol!

----

94 pages down, 170 to go, and I'm about halfway through A Christmas Carol, having already read a couple of the 'Other Christmas Writings'. These are nice enough, but nothing of particular note as of yet. ACC, on the other hand, is really very good, though I am picturing all the actors from A Muppets Christmas Carol which is mildly distracting. Still, it is the best adaptation and the one I've most recently seen, so I'm sure this is excusable!

But now I'm stopping for a few hours while I go to work. Scrooge will just have to sit and wait for me to get back.

----

And now - almost two hours later than original believed due to unforeseen circumstances - the reading can recommence! Snacks, tea and Scrooge, here I come!

----

A Christmas Carol was a great story. Even though I knew what was going to happen, it was very easy to read and lovely seeing the change wrought in Scrooge in the last section. Unfortunately, the next short story, The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain, falling under the 'Other Christmas Writings' section, has put the brakes on my progress. It's a bit weird, I don't really see where it's going, and so far I can't make it out to be at all Christmas-y in the slightest. And It's 4:30am. And I'm tired...

I'm sorry to say I think this is the end for me this read-a-thon. Sleep is calling, so good luck to everyone else who is still going - you can do it!

2 comments:

  1. Nice selection of books for the read-a-thon! Good luck with your reading today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want to read I am Number Four and now I want to read the follow up! Hope you get to read some more when you get home.


    Team Polonius

    ReplyDelete